Wednesday, November 22, 2006

On changes, and the fact that God really knows what he's doing.

Less than two weeks ago, I moved about 800 miles up the east coast to become a pastor at this little church. I know, the website could use some more tweaking. But that's not really the point.

Obviously, we're still adjusting. We will be for a while. We're staying with Becky's parents, and they are great. But it's not quite like having our own place. And the good friends we've made over the last few years are mostly in Lynchburg. So we've got a lot of people to get to know.

But I am amazed by how clear it's become to me that God wants us up here. Example 1: we've been here less than two weeks, and I just started the part-time job I needed. I get to work from 3 or so in the morning to 8 or so in the morning, and I make 9.50 an hour. Plus, as long as I manage to stay on after Christmas, I'll get full health insurance benefits. I could not have come up with a better situation. It meets the need we have for supplemental income and health insurance, while leaving me free for my other responsibilities. I don't have to work weekends or evenings or holidays. I basically walked in and got it. Coincidence? Possibly. God? Definitely.

Example 2: I am blown away by the people in my church. They are full of faith and a desire to serve God. Plus, new people are starting to come. There were 10 or 12 people there between college age and age 30 Sunday, and in a small church, that's a pretty good percentage. I am convinced that God is going to do amazing things here.

I am excited. I miss my friends and the support network we had, but God has put us here (with family, too) for an exciting purpose. And I am eager to experience it being worked out.

No comments: